Sample Writing Module (Task-I)
The following bar diagram shows the production of wheat, rice and sugar in Mexico during the period of 2001 and 2004. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Production of wheat, rice and sugar in Mexico during 2001 and 2004
The answer for the above diagram should be written in 150 words within 20 minutes. The answer should contain 3 parts:
- Topic Statement
- Main Features of the Chart
- Relevant Comparisons
The first paragraph of your answer should contain the topic statement. It is just paraphrasing or rewriting the question in your own words. The topic statement should be clear and free from grammar questions.
Main Features of the Chart
The bar diagram given above is just one of the several types. You may come across pie charts, graphs, tables, etc. You need to write the features of the given figure. Comprehensive information about it is available in our online portal IELTS4U.
Finally, you need to make appropriate comparisons between the variables of the figure. This is the most important part of your answer. It requires some analytical skills on your part to write this effectively. IELTS4U provides solid tips to write relevant comparisons in the writing task I.
Writing Module II: (Academic)
For Task II of the writing module, you need to have presentation skills. Here again grammar play significant role. Equip yourself with knowledge of grammar. The following are some online sources to improve your grammar:http://englsh4u.wordpress.com/andhttp://sites.google.com/site/english4uclub/home/english-grammar-and-usage,www.ielts4u.net
Tips for Writing Issues/ Essays (Task II)
- Read news papers, news magazines regularly to gather matter on Socio-economic issues.
- Practice writing essays at home
- Read the question carefully.
- Read the tag in the question: Discuss, Describe, Illustrate, Explain……
- Know that the tag determines the direction of the essay.
- Discuss means making a critical analysis; Describe: Give an account of something; Illustrate: Explain with example and Explain: Give reasons for.
Note: Both Academic Module and General Module have Essay/Issue writing.